Saturday, November 18, 2006

Forgiveness

Forgiving someone is often the hardest thing to do, but it is the most worthwhile sometimes. Why do we have such a hard time forgiving someone or asking for forgiveness?
The reason it is so hard for me to ask for forgivness is because it involves a lot of humility, and many different steps. It takes a very strong person to be able to admit they are wrong to themselves, become humble enough to admit that they were wrong to someone else, and then be truly sorry so that you have a desire to make it better.
For me, I seem to be able to forgive much easier than ask for forgivness. There have, however, been a few cases in which I didn't feel like I could forgive the person outwardly because I hadn't forgiven them inwardly. Forgiving someone can be very superficial and just say "it's alright" or whatever, but to honestly forgive someone of an offense can be very challenging if you haven't resolved it within yourself. Often you need to forgive someone without them even being sorry and asking for your forgiveness. This is the hardest, because you have to do it 100% on your own, and without any "spring board" to go from.
Why, then, if forgivness can be such a challenge, is it so worth it?
When you have forgiven someone, you feel a sigh of relief within yourself. You are through with the burden of carrying a grudge, and it makes you a Christ-like person. You are a much stronger person if you can resolve things within yourself, whether or not it even involves the other person being sorry. It's such a relief to know that that episode can be over, and that everything will be okay.
"I the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all." There's a reason the scriptures say that. It truly makes you a happier person.

2 comments:

Sami Lori said...

Great insight Linds! I loved it!

Holly said...

hey I bet I can guess what was on your mind. It will all work out, we'll talk on monday.