Friday, July 27, 2007

How to build a fire with wet wood and a dull hatchet

This year at girls camp it was constant blizzard the first few days. I think it was reported to be about 15 degrees not counting wind chill. Everybody was so cold, that in the one and only break we got from the snow, Sister Hutchins (my Laurel leader that is only 21 so we're buds) and I went out and built a fire. Every single piece of wood was wet, we had absolutely no kindling, the matches were all wet, and to top it all off, the hatchet was so dull we couldn't even make kindling with it.
.
.

Shannon would wedge the hatchet in the wood as much as possible, and I would stomp on it so that we could pry some wood off to attempt at some kindling.
.
.
This was the sad beginnings of our fire....it took us an hour to kindle that little bit of wood in the middle there.
.
.
We FINALLY got some of the "waterproof" soaking wet matches to light, and there started our "one-match, wet-wood, no-lighter-fluid, middle-of-a-blizzard, take-that-scouts" Fire.
.
.
I think this picture is SO cool. (If you couldn't tell, I'm the hand withOUT the wedding ring. :D)
.
.

We have Fire Baby.....
.
.

It was a lot of work to keep it burning....we kept having to kindle wood for a long time so that the wet wood would dry out enough to stay lit.
.
.

Burn baby burn!
I had more hairs singed off my fingers than you can imagine....ha ha ha. It was fun though! We were working so hard we were sweating! It was the first time we were even remotely warm all week!
.
.

Really....we were just maintaining the fire.....we weren't fire dancing. :D
.
.

More chopping....aka wedging and stomping. I had to be SO careful not to fall in the fire.
.
.

This would be one of those times my knuckles got a bit singed. :S
.
.

More maintanance....but look at that fire. (I feel like a proud mother... ha ha ha!)
.
.

Victory
.
.

Our fire. It was a virtual inferno it got so hot!
.
.

Late that night it was still burning oh so hot... I even invented a little aluminum foil pizza oven that you can see at the bottom of the picture.
Take that scouts!!!!!
.

4 comments:

Holly said...

I'm speechless. Lol :) Go girl power!

FiddleWiz said...

This is true. And I KNOW all those scouts out there have had to endure a 48 hour blizzard and 8-10ish inches of snow, temperatures below freezing... and had to start a fire in the middle of it. *wink* Great job with the fire, Linds!! It was quite the experience this year. I agree with Holly - GIRL POWER!!

Knot DemiGod said...

Hey! Don't be dissing the scouts! The staff has it hard enough trying to keep them in line, and they don't need girls knocking on them. Haha! Joking, but I won't say anymore for fear of offending anyone. :)

Noelle said...

You are amazing. and I miss girls' camp.