Thursday, January 4, 2007

"Hey Mr. Rich, What's a Transition?"

The other day I was in Mr. Rich's class after school so I could talk to him about my latest essay revision. Apparently people were anxious to get their papers re-graded or something, because I came right when the bell rang and there was already a line! Oh well. I just made my self comfortable at the back of the line and worked on my calculus homework. As I was sitting there I heard about 5 people talk to Mr. Rich. Most people asked what I would call normal and totally legitimate questions. There were a few people, however, that surprised me. One person in particular went up to Mr. Rich and said, "Hey Mr. Rich, so what's a transition?" My eyes kind of widened in disbelief and I could hear Mr. Rich trying not to sound frustrated even though I'm sure he was.
Some people never cease to amazing me. It frustrates me so much sometimes! (I can't imagine how teachers feel!) Why the heck won't people just listen the first twelve times a teacher explains something?!?!?!?! Honestly! I think that some people honestly just don't get it as quickly as others, and that's fine. I suppose I should feel grateful that I understand things fairly easily. But, the majority of these people don't listen out of their own choice! They seem a little bit selfish to me because obviously they think that whatever they are doing is more important than anything else, and that what other people are saying or doing will just have to wait. It also seems selfish that they don't listen in class, then very often blame the teacher in some way or another for their lack of understanding. They then either take up the teacher and very often the entire class' time and they whine and ask the teacher to explain it for yet another time. (Personally I get frustrated with this because it can get really boring listening to the same instructions thirteen and a half times.)
Well, I'll get off my soapbox now. I can't change the world (although I've tried) but I guess I'll continue making my little contributions by actually listening during a lecture or when instructions are being given, and hope that other people figure it out one of these days.

No comments: